No Internet, so this isn't getting posted until May 23rd.
Just where do I start Wednesday night. The rain and snow stopped about dark Tues. night (close to 10 pm). I don’t
know what the temperature was this morning when we got up, but it was about 55°
in the front of the mh. I’d gotten
cold during the night, so pulled the heater into the back with us.
John from NY read in the blog that we were saving on
propane by not using the furnace, so he sent us an email explaining that we had
a heat pump. Ok, I think I knew
that. But he explains that it
works off electricity, and doesn’t use propane. Now, I didn’t know that. He didn’t
explain if we needed 50 amp service to use them (like you do the A/C). Through power of experimentation, we
found you do. They worked for a
while, but then blew the circuit for all the electricity at our site. Fortunately we were packing up as there
was no circuit breaker on the post to reset it.
Just to stay with the topic, we are in a provincial
park tonight with no utilities, so we kicked the generator on (during the
appointed hours) and the two heat pumps did a much better job of warming the
whole mh than the little electric heater.
THANKS John!
Now to figure out where the water came from that got
on the top shelf under the sink. Nothing
obvious is leaking, so we will have to leave this puzzle for another day.
It was 38° this morning, when I started the engine
to raise the jacks. I don’t think
the jacks like cold weather.
I got an error message and the jacks were still down. David wasn’t sure what wire did what on
this little box he learned the existence of from Spike (another owner) in
Dawson Creek, but playing with it sounded better than crawling in the mud to
reach the jack with an electric drill.
He jumped something, which cleared the error code. It took multiple attempts, but the jacks
went up a bit each time, and we finally had a Eureka moment. Now it might have been what we did, or
it could have been the fact the temp went up to 42° during our efforts. I don’t think David’s demeanor could have
heated the ambient temperature up that much, but the idea of climbing under the
wet, drippy mh in all the mud out there was generating some heat.
We were on the road again and oh, what a ride. Still very overcast but only a small
amount of rain and one snow flurry when we stopped in Tetsa Lake for cinnamon
rolls. {Side note: save your money
on the rolls. Can you imagine
cinnamon rolls without nuts?}
Everything was just gorgeous.
Loved the snow tipped trees.
The pictures don’t do some of the areas justice. Where you could barely see through the
clouds, looks all white is some of the pictures, so take my word for it. It was a day of incredible scenery.
We finally saw our first bear off to the side of the
road. A short distance away we saw
another with 3 babies up in a nearby tree. Other animal sightings today were moose, buffalo, goats (or
were they sheep) and caribou, heron and some sort of swan.
 |
| Our first bear |
 |
| Cubs are in the tree. |
 |
| Three cubs in the tree |
 |
| Tetsa Lake |
The Tetsa Lake stop was about noon to try their
supposedly wonderful cinnamon rolls.
It was 41° with a bit of snow as we were finding our way into the log
cabin store.
On the way out with
our $5 buns, we both laughed at the sign on the gas pump… “No Sniveling”. Now who would snivel about paying
$1.79/liter of fuel {about $6.90/gal}. ?
Diesel was a bargain at only $1.69/liter {about $6.51/gal}. The $1.32/liter we paid in Dawson Creek seemed a good
bargain.
 |
We didn’t get very close to
Summit Lake, but it looked incredible with the snow on the water.
|
-->
Muncho Lake was more
accessible. It was 56° when we
stopped. The ice was breaking up and
made interesting formations.
 |
| Can you see the ice he is holding? Looks like broken glass. |
-->
There was evidence of
animal life at Muncho Lake. Anyone
want to identify the scat?
 |
| Nothing like a picture of someone taking a picture. |
 |
| Pretty sure these are Stone Sheep |
 |
| Our first bison sighting. |
 |
| The bridge over the Lower Liard River is just over 335'. It is the only suspension bridge left on the Alaskan Highway. |
|
|  |
 | | Back on the road. More bison up ahead |
No wifi tonight… Keeping warm is sort of like home when I don’t like to put
the heat on, but no wifi is truly camping. A whole new definition of “roughing it”.
 |
| All secured for the night. |
Our final stop of the day was at the Liard River
Hotsprings Provincial Park. It was
47° when we parked. Hopefully
stopping here instead of somewhere with hook-ups wasn’t a mistake. You have to love their sign. They list “Local Hazards” as: Bear, Bison & Moose. We could probably keep it warmer in
here if we covered all the windows, but it is so nice to look out and see all
the trees.
 |
| Campground sign. |
-->
We walked down to the hot springs, but it was
crowded (over 3 other people to me is crowded). Also there were a lot of kids in the water. Decisions, decisions. The water smelled bad (like sulfur). I could imagine at least some of these kids
peeing in it, and all these bad organisms flourishing in the warm water. There was only a public display
dressing room. It was cold out and
the wind was blowing, so the half-mile walk to the mh would have a bite. Lastly was consideration that if I got
my stuff wet, I’d have to find a way to dry it. So I did a limited immersion. I did touch it; it felt warm; I was done.
 |
| Hwy 97 through BC is incredible. Funny to drive all day and the GPS says GO STRAIGHT. No turns onto other highways. |
1 comment:
We like the animals--the bears in the trees, the goats on the road, and the bison. I want to go swim in the hot springs with you. Love, Addisyn and Piper
Post a Comment