Tuesday, May 21, 2013

May 21 - Ft Nelson snow day

Good morning.  Woke up this morning to rain, but within an hour it was snowing.  The wind is carrying it directly toward the front of the mh.  I find it interesting to watch.  Yesterday the visitor center said no problem driving today, and confirmed the earlier reports of snow had changed to rain only in Ft Nelson.  Guess the earlier reports of snow were more accurate, although it started later than forecast.


I would like to call Muncho Lake to see how things are going there, and if we could get a reservation before heading out into it.  We have a nice comfortable place here with view of the highway.  Not much noise from the vehicles, but it is interesting to see them come by with varying amounts of snow.  Saw someone pulling a utility trailer with the back doors flapping open...Hope they didn't lose to much cargo when going uphill. 
Opened the slide window to take this one about 9:10 am, in two hours the table and bench tops were solid white. 

Driver's side mirror through the windshield about 9:10 am.  The snow is starting to pile up on the back side of the mirrors.  I am writing this two hours later and the pile is close to an inch thick.


Is this anyway to treat a Southern California motorcycle? 

Triple "G" campground buildings 5/19/13
Triple "G"  buildings 5/21/13 at 10:12 am

We have these slopes across from us where people were riding ATV's yesterday.  I took this an hour ago (about 10:15 am) and it is significantly more white now.  All the spots you see are the snow falling.  I tried to take one through the windshield, but the flakes melt hitting the warmer windshield.  There is to much water on the windshield to get a good picture beyond it.

This is the Alaska Highway heading north (where we need to go).  Our next stint is through the Rocky Mountains, covering a summit with the highest altitude on the highway (around 4200 ft). 
 We only wanted to cover about 200 miles today, but at the office here the staff called and road conditions were slushy.  She felt confident that it would be fine tomorrow, but the recommendation was to stay put today.  So that is what we are doing.  I took some pictures outdoors (with David's more durable camera), but the mud discourages me from doing more outdoor exploring.  I did bring our rubber boots (they aren't all that warm though), but they are stored underneath.  I could get them if I go to stir crazy this afternoon.  It doesn't get dark until around 9 pm.
5/21/13 @ 10:15 am

5/21/13 @ 10:15 am
Current temp is 32° with the forecasted low of 36°.  The high today is supposed to be 45°.  No bicycle riding today for sure.  Guess we'll just have to find something else to occupy our time.  :-)

We are pretty snug here.  Wasn't sure what we'd find up the road (I'm to cheap to pay 69 cents/minute to call), and I'm content to not be boondocking in this weather.  We've heard the heater sucks quite a bit of propane.  Don't really know as we've never used it.  We are using a little electric heater of Gram Sabia's.  Doesn't keep it toasty, but does take the chill off.  We are keeping the front warmed during the day.  Tonight we'll warm the bedroom before we go to bed.
Taken through the passenger window.
I took a nice nap (extra blankets) then decided a walk was in order.  If it wasn't for all the mud it would be wonderful out. It was snowing lightly, but piled snow was melting. 
David found other entertainment.
I wanted to knock the snow off the motorcycle seat but didn't want to get my gloves wet.

This truck was parked near a converted bus mh.  Guess they go for the "older" things.

One big crayola.
Heritage Museum on Tuesday 5/21
Ft Nelson spray park. 
Community park next to the spray park.  We saw young men playing basketball barefoot in this park yesterday.

This is the campground's fix to a problem with their septic system in the back of the park.  They use the truck to pump out their tank in the back and dump it into the sewer system access right near our space.  Such memories.   I think we have stayed her long enough.  We are definitely moving on tomorrow.  But doesn't everyone like looking at poop trucks?  







2 comments:

Sue said...

Poop trucks. My favorite view. 32 degrees out. My 2nd favorite thing. NOT. Pix are GREAT and I always love LOOKING at snow. Smooth sailing 2morrow! xo

Karen R said...

Addisyn and Piper said "WOW" when they saw the snow on the motorcycle. They also liked the big crayon.