Wednesday, July 3, 2013

July 2 - to Haines, AK (USA)

After a quiet night in the rest stop, we set out for Haines.  I found we had so much beautiful scenery that it was hard to know what to take a picture of.  Actually, the most spectacular views were in places we couldn't stop. 


This was unique with the bracing.  I wasn't sure if it was for the strong winds blowing toward the supports or if due to animals.  The other side of this privy had what appeared to be animal damage.

The cloud cover was low and obscuring the mountain tips.



The Canadian border check station.


 The moment of truth is coming.  Will the USA let us into the country?  We had a bit of a wait for the tanker truck.  The covered booth was to short for us.  I had switched back to my sunglasses when the wait was extending.  I forgot to switch back, but he certainly reminded me.  Told me to take my sunglasses off, but it was ok.  Just a few questions and we were allowed "in".
 This crossing is also a historical monument.  We were allowed to go look at the Dalton Cache building, but told not to take pictures of the border check or the officers.  He didn't say I had to erase the one I already took, but I didn't take any others.
Jack Dalton took advantage of the Chilkat natives taking over their trails and using them to control trade in the area.  One of the strangest tales attributed to him is training horses to use snowshoes so he could run pack trains in the heavy snow.
Joyce standing on the international border.  The building in the back was a store set up by Jack Dalton. 



David riding a marble bear.
 




 We stopped to take the picture above and met some folks setting out snacks.  They were waiting for the people taking a float trip through the bald eagle preserve with Alaska Cross Country guiding run by siblings Pam and Al. Very nice people.  We thought about doing their trip ourselves, but it didn't fit in our schedule.
Their first boat of tourists coming in.

Fish wheels can only be used by Alaskan's with special subsistence permits.  They work a series of these units.  The fish get dropped into tanks on both sides, so they stay alive until netted out.

While walking back to the mh, I spotted a boat with the fishermen.  They went to the fish wheel I just left and collected the fish.

 We arrived in Haines and wasn't to keen with the RV park.  They have "rules" against not just washing your RV at the space, but they don't want you to wipe anything on the exterior including cleaning your windshield.  I don't know why, allow I suspect the owner also owns the car wash across the street & is just drumming up business.  Rather than dwelling on it, we went for a 20 mile tandem ride.
 While out on a bicycle ride, we took pictures of Haines from across the bay.



Back entrance to the local IGA grocery store.  Quite a stairway, I thought.

Want a fill-up?

Haines Visitor Center
One of the things Haines is known for is all the totem poles around the town.



No comments: